Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Be a Better... Runner

Another experiment in self-improvement... And, yes, I realize that my scientific method is a bit shaky.


The Project: Get to a point where you can run for two miles without stopping. 


Introduction: Running is one of those things I've always wanted to be good at, but every time I go for a run, I invariably end up choking on air, stumbling over my own feet, wondering if anyone would judge me if I took a break and laid down in the shade.

Hypothesis: The only way to become a better runner is through consistent practice. No more of that running intensely for one or two days, then giving up on it for about a week, claiming that I don't want to over-exert myself.

Materials: Running shoes, I would assume. Good music. Interesting places to run.

My favorite trail. 
Methods: Run only every other day, but exercise daily.

Data: Day 1: "Ran" for almost an hour - more accurately, tried to do equal amounts of walking and running.

Day 2: Did a weird combination workout. Spent about 15 minutes running up and down the hill next to my house, then did sit ups with the balance ball for about 10 minutes.

Day 3: Went for an hour-long bike ride. Originally I thought of my bike riding plan as a cop-out, but I found some hilly trails, and it ended up being quite a strenuous workout. Also, I hula-hooped for an hour and was surprised to discover that my abs were sore the next day.

Day 4: Okay. So I know I'm cheating on the whole run-every-other-day thing, but it's extremely hot, and I didn't wake up early enough to run when the temperature was still somewhat reasonable. Excuses, excuses. Instead of torturing myself by running in this skin-melting heat, I went for another bike ride.

Day 5: Standard run around town. Managed to go almost a mile without stopping. Not bad. Needs improvement.

Day 6: Nothing notable - some hula-hooping (apparently this is a regular thing for me now) and some sit-ups with the balance ball. The self-loathing

Day 7: Went for a run - and a pretty decent one at that. Sure, I didn't run two miles, but I almost did it.

Results/Conclusion: Sometimes the most unexpected things can constitute good exercise. Take hula-hooping as an example. I never would have guessed that this would bring on more next-day soreness than sit-ups, but it did.

My greatest discovery, though, is that running doesn't have to be boring, and the secret to staving off boredom lies in music selection. Some songs just don't work for running. There was a time in my life when I didn't believe this, but I am now convinced that proper music choices can do wonders for motivation. My current running playlist includes lots of Motown and britpop, mixed with assorted indie rock, top 40 stuff and early 2000s pop punk. It's almost terrifyingly eclectic, but it does its job. Sometimes it even makes me forget that I'm running.

No comments:

Post a Comment