Sunday, July 8, 2012

San Francisco Day 2

I'll spare you the part of this day that consists of me going to the UK visa application office and getting fingerprinted. If you're actually interested, though, click the link. Is it considered bad form to link to your own blog posts? Is it like I'm saying, "The only things worth reading are the things I've written! HAHAHAHA. Here, why don't you read more of my ramblings? Read more."? 

I digress. 

The upside to doing bureaucratic things on vacation was that it took me into a new section of San Francisco. Granted, the area around the visa office was really boring, and the boring part was adjacent to a few sketchy blocks of strip clubs, but once we got past all of that, we found ourselves in an extremely interesting, garlic-scented Italian-Chinese wonderland. I believe it's called North Beach. Or maybe Chinatown. I had a hard time determining where one neighborhood ends and another begins. 

The European...
And the Chinese! All within probably 5 minutes of each other.
Clearly some exploration was in order.

So we looked at Chinese markets.


And stopped for the best bubble tea I've ever tasted. What made it the best? Well, unlike the bubble tea places at home, this place lets you add your own bubbles and jellies, allowing you to get to tea to tapioca to jelly ratio exactly right. Maybe this is standard practice in San Francisco, but not in Michigan, so I was impressed. 


After a quick Italian lunch, we climbed Telegraph Hill to Coit Tower, where we saw views of the Golden Gate Bridge.


And Alcatraz.


And this guy. My sister and I named him Griswold. 


Then we walked over to Lombard Street, which, contrary to popular belief, is not the crookedest street in the world. That honor actually goes to Vermont Street. But, still, Lombard Street, was impressively crooked. 


For dinner, we went to a cafe and crepery called Honey Honey, and all of our meals were delicious. My mom and I had black bean chili; my sister had a peanut butter crepe; my dad had shrimp pasta. In addition to the food, I really enjoyed Honey Honey's atmosphere. Unlike a lot of restaurants that serve trendy food (tofu sandwich, anyone?) Honey Honey felt unpretentious. What this means is that the staff were friendly and didn't scoff at my order. (What? You like bean soup and beer? How very mainstream.) Okay, maybe no one has actually said anything quite like that to me, but trust me, you can tell when hipsters are judging you. After years of living among the hipsters, I find it very refreshing to go to a restaurant, order my stylishly-presented food, and not feel socially awkward for hours afterward. 



All in all, an excellent day. 










3 comments:

  1. Seeing the picture of durian (fruit), it's the nubbley green stuff above, I just had to comment. A few years back, Linda & I were in Bangkok & I REALLY wanted to try this stuff. It was described as having a heavenly taste, but tasting like . . . well you know. At the expected time, trucks came in to a section of town from the countryside with the fruit. Locals spent serious time in scratching & sniffing to find just the right ones to take home. The whole place reeked of vomit & despite my desire to try this purportedly heavenly taste, I couldn't bring myself to do it. To this day, I still haven't tried it (a couple of dozen years later, or more). I may have tried it here, but we had no way to cut & consume the delicacy. It's probably for the best, though the stench did not find it's way from Bangkok to San Francisco.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did make a point of smelling the durian, and it didn't actually stink. After hearing your stories, this was surprising.

      Delete
  2. I was surprised that they didn't stink in SF, too. The fresh ones were unbelievably stomach wrenching. Maybe it was due to the fact that there were truckloads of them, fresh from the "farms". The "customers" approached this endeavor in a most scientific way. Scratching & sniffing through cartloads, until they found just the right ones. I could barely keep my Pad Thai down.

    ReplyDelete